Metal roofing systems have been growing in popularity due to recent advances that make them more aesthetically pleasing while retaining their durability. Recently, homeowners who desire a more traditional look combined with the benefits of a metal roof have discovered standing seam metal roofing.
Standing seam metal roofing adds a great deal of architectural interest, thanks to the straight, three-dimensional lines.
Standing seam metal roofing is different due to the way the panels are “seamed” (joined) together. Where two panels meet, the seam is vertical, rising above the panels. This creates a durable, tight seal to prevent the penetration of moisture. Furthermore, because the seams run from the top of the roof to the eave, fewer seams are needed than with materials that require horizontal seams, such as traditional asphalt shingles
Standing seam metal roofs are not limited to just residential roofing use, either. Offices, stores and restaurants are just a few of the types of commercial buildings that can be found with this type of roofing system. The panels are available in a variety of widths, allowing contractors to choose the width that is most suitable for the building’s architecture. For example, on a small home, the best choice might be 12-inch panels, while a medium-sized restaurant might need panels that are 16 inches wide.
Some reasons to consider a standing seam metal roof include:
• Standing seam metal roofing is distinctive, allowing the building to stand out from surrounding structures.
• Panels are available in a variety of colors.
• Standing seam metal roofs are virtually maintenance-free and are resistant to fading, staining, cracking, rust and streaking.
• Modern metal roofs offer protection from fires as the roof will not burn.
• A standing seam metal roof will not harbor an insect infestation.
• Metal roofing systems do not absorb water and easily shed snow and ice.
• Panels can be coated to increase the amount of sunlight reflected, helping to keep attics cooler and therefore reducing cooling bills.
If you decide to have a standing seam metal roof installed, it is important to choose a professional contractor with experience in the system you choose. Your roof is going to last for many years, so you want to make sure it is installed correctly to provide both durability and an attractive appearance. At Alpha Roofing, our crews are extremely knowledgeable about all types of roofing, including standing seam metal roofs. If you would like to learn more standing seam metal roofs, you can call us at (512) 777-1086, or use our convenient online form to request a free quote.