Prior to the invention of durable, economical glass, skylights were seldom found outside of public buildings and the homes of the wealthiest citizens. After the Industrial Revolution brought major advances in glass manufacturing, skylights installation began to appear in more modest structures.
The popularity of skylight installation has continued to increase every decade since the 1950s for the following reasons.
• Skylights allow natural light into the home. Since natural light is balanced, the human eye can perceive colors better in sunlight than in artificial light.
• Skylights installation offers a variety of roofing systems, including metal roofs and asphalt shingles.
• Unlike traditional windows, privacy does not need to be sacrificed to illuminate a room through a skylight.
• Skylights installation in kitchens and bathrooms allow wall space to be used for appliances, cabinets or counters while providing as much (or more) light into the room than typical windows.
• Skylights are available in a wide range of shapes, sizes and styles. For example, there are skylights that can be opened, either remotely or manually, to allow fresh air to enter. Other styles come with blinds or shades, allowing the amount of light entering the room to be controlled. Skylights with tinted glass are also widely available.
Skylight Installation is not a job for the average homeowner or even most window companies. Skylights installation is part of the roofing system, so choosing an experienced, reputable roofer is the logical option.
• Even for a replacement, the skylight must be properly flashed and sealed, just like chimneys or attic vents. Otherwise, leaks can develop that can compromise elements of the roof or damage the interior of the structure.
• A new installation may require cutting through roof trusses. Roofing contractors are the experts at determining the distribution of weight and load-bearing properties of a roofing system.
• Roofing contractors have the equipment needed to access the roof safely and the skills to install a skylight without damaging the roofing materials.
• With a metal roofing system, it is even more important to hire an experienced roofing contractor as few people in other professions have the expertise with skylight installation on such a system. Skylight installation on a metal roof is not quite the same as installing one on a traditional roof, as there are some extra steps that must be taken. The exact steps depend on the type of metal roofing system, and professional roofers know how to match installations to systems.
Depending on the type of roofing system you have, even the best skylight may not last as long as your roof. The average lifespan for a skylight is between 10 and 20 years. Therefore, it is often prudent to have your skylight replaced as part of your re-roof project.
If you have additional questions about skylight installation, metal roofing systems or asphalt shingles, feel free to contact the professionals at Alpha Roofing. Our crews are highly trained in all facets of roofing services, including gutter installation, chimney repairs, hail damage and emergency repairs. You can request a free quote by submitting our online form, or if you prefer, you can reach us at (512) 777-1086.