Whether you are deciding on a roof for your new home or need a replacement roof, your decision can have a significant bearing on the home’s curb appeal and your energy costs and roof maintenance needs. Although asphalt shingles are still a popular choice for residential roofing, Central Texas metal roofing contractors install an increasing number of metal roofs on homes of all sizes, costs, and architectural styles. Metal roofs are available in several styles, but the demand for the standing seam has been growing substantially in recent years.
The Pros and Cons of Standing Seam Metal Roofing
What Are the Pros of a Standing Seam Roof?
Both standing seam and traditional metal roofs feature metal panels, but they have some critical differences.
1. With standard metal roofs, the panels are screwed down and typically caulked at each seam. Because the fasteners are exposed, periodic maintenance is needed to ensure that fasteners do not work their way out when the roof undergoes thermal expansion. The fasteners joining the panels of a standing seam roof are concealed beneath the vertical seam that rises above the panels, so there is virtually no maintenance required. The joining method also means that standing seam roofs handle thermal expansion far better than traditional metal roofs.
2. The vertical seams provide three-dimensional lines that can add architectural interest. The clean, sleek lines that run from the ridge to the eaves create a look that is quite distinctive.
3. Although all metal roofs can reduce the cost of cooling your home, standing seam roofs offer superior energy savings. Studies have shown that standing seam roofs can reduce energy costs by as much as 30%.
4. Standing seam roofs do not provide a suitable environment for insects or animals, and the panels themselves will not support fire.
5. A standing seam roof can last more than 50 years with proper installation and adequate maintenance.
6. You can choose from more than 100 colors, including custom colors. The coating applied by the manufacturer carries a warranty of 30 years, but the color may last many years beyond that.
7. Because of its resistance to pests, fire, hail, and wind, many insurance companies offer savings on homeowners insurance if the home features a metal roof.
8. Standing seam roofs are available in several different materials, including galvanized steel and a variety of gauges and panel widths.
What Are the Cons of a Standing Seam Roof?
There are few disadvantages to a standing seam roof, and most of them are offset by one or more of the advantages.
1. Standing seam roofs are more expensive than screw-down metal roofs or most asphalt shingles. However, the cost of a standing seam roof compares favorably with the cost of high-end designer or custom shingles. Furthermore, the exceptionally long life of a standing seam roof can offset the difference in price.
2. It may require a little more diligence on your part to find an Austin Texas roofer who can install it properly. Not all roofing contractors have the training and equipment to install a standing seam roof correctly. Even if the contractor lists metal roofing repair or installation as one of his roof services, he may not know how to handle a standing seam roof.
3. If you belong to an HOA, you will need to check your covenants and restrictions. Some HOAs, for example, only allow asphalt shingles or specific colors and styles.
If you would like to learn more standing seam metal roofs, contact Alpha Roofing. We would be happy to help you choose the right roof for your home’s architecture, goals, and budget. We have extensive experience in the installation of traditional and standing seam metal roofs, asphalt shingles, flat roofs, skylights, and we repair chimneys, roofs, and flashing. We also offer commercial roofing, metal fabrication, preventive maintenance programs, and moss removal. When you choose Alpha, you choose a company with an exemplary reputation for craftsmanship and a deep commitment to customer satisfaction. Give us a call at 512-777-1086 or submit our form online to request a free quote.
- Arlington, TX
- Athens, TX
- Austin, TX
- Bastrop, TX
- Belton, TX
- Buda, TX
- Cedar Park, TX
- College Station, TX
- Corsicana, TX
- Dallas, TX
- Elgin, TX
- Fairfield, TX
- Fort Worth, TX
- Frisco, TX
- Georgetown, TX
- Grandbury, TX
- Harker Heights, TX
- Hillsboro, TX
- Hutto, TX
- Killeen, TX
- Kyle, TX
- Lago Vista, TX
- Lakeway, TX
- Lampasas, TX
- Leander, TX
- Manor, TX
- New Braunfels, TX
- Pflugerville, TX
- Plano, TX
- Round Rock, TX
- Salado, TX
- San Marcos, TX
- Stephenville, TX
- Taylor, TX
- Temple, TX
- Waco, TX