A summer in Austin without at least one major storm is an extreme rarity. High winds and torrential downpours are common, and although hail is more common in the spring, it cannot be ruled out during a summer thunderstorm. Here are some tips to help you prepare your roof for the storms that are likely to occur during the summer months.
Roofing & Summer Storm Preparation – Review Your Insurance Policy
Should your roof be damaged, it can be helpful to know what your policy will cover. For example, some policies require higher deductibles for hail and wind damage, and other policies may only pay the depreciated value of your roof instead of the replacement cost.
Roofing & Summer Storm Preparation – Take Care of Your Gutters
Gutters are more than just decorative accents. The function of a gutter system is to channel runoff from your roof to downspouts that can direct the water away from your foundation, driveway or plantings. However, gutters and downspouts can become clogged with twigs, dirt, leaves and other debris. The water can back up under the edges of your roof, potentially damaging the decking, underlayment and fascia boards. Clean out the gutters and downspouts, check to make sure that all attachments are secure and replace broken or missing sections.
Roofing & Summer Storm Preparation – Trim Your Trees
Trim any tree limbs that overhang your roof or that scrape against your roof covering, fascia boards or soffit. If a tree limb breaks during a storm, it can fall on the roof and cause serious damage, but even if it only experiences a partial break that places part of its weight on your roof, the added load can expedite the deterioration of your roofing materials. Limbs and branches scraping against your house can remove the granules from asphalt shingles, encourage the growth of mold and promote rot in wooden components.
Roofing & Summer Storm Preparation – Obtain a Thorough Roof Inspection
Hiring a reputable roofing contractor to conduct a professional inspection can be your best option if you have a two-story home, own a home with a steep or intricate roof, are uncomfortable with heights or lack the proper safety equipment. However, there are some things that you can inspect from the ground, while standing on a ladder when you are cleaning your gutters or from the interior of your home.
• If your home has asphalt shingles, look for shingles that are missing, cracked, cupping, degranulated or buckled.
• If your home has a metal roofing system, look for panels or fasteners that appear to be unusually loose.
• Look for missing, broken or rusted flashing.
• Look for rotten, missing or broken fascia boards.
• Check interior walls and ceilings for damp spots or water stains.
• In the attic, check for water stains on the underside of the decking panels, damp spots around roof penetrations and insulation that is damp or moldy.
Roofing & Summer Storm Preparation – Have Repairs Made Promptly
Small issues can quickly become major problems during a storm, so you should have any needed repairs made promptly. There are two critical reasons for expediting repairs.
• If a severe storm affects a great many homes in your town, the best roofing contractors will be swamped with work. This could force you to wait for repairs — or take a risk and hire an unscrupulous or inexperienced repairman.
• If your insurance company finds evidence that the damage was caused by lack of maintenance or normal wear, your claim could be reduced or even denied.
If you need help getting your roof ready for summer storms, contact Alpha Roofing. We offer an extensive range of services, including roof inspections, roof repairs, flashing installation and repair, emergency roof repairs, metal roofing systems, asphalt shingle installation, chimney repair, skylight installation, maintenance plans and moss and debris removal. We have exemplary references, an impeccable reputation and a commitment to superior workmanship. For a free quote, submit the handy online form or call our office at 512-777-1086.
- Arlington, TX
- Athens, TX
- Austin, TX
- Bastrop, TX
- Belton, TX
- Buda, TX
- Cedar Park, TX
- College Station, TX
- Corsicana, TX
- Dallas, TX
- Elgin, TX
- Fairfield, TX
- Fort Worth, TX
- Frisco, TX
- Georgetown, TX
- Grandbury, TX
- Harker Heights, TX
- Hillsboro, TX
- Hutto, TX
- Killeen, TX
- Kyle, TX
- Lago Vista, TX
- Lakeway, TX
- Lampasas, TX
- Leander, TX
- Manor, TX
- New Braunfels, TX
- Pflugerville, TX
- Plano, TX
- Round Rock, TX
- Salado, TX
- San Marcos, TX
- Stephenville, TX
- Taylor, TX
- Temple, TX
- Waco, TX