Some homeowners give little or no thought to the condition of their roofs until evidence of a leak manifests in the interior of the house. However, contractors know that many emergency calls to repair or replace Austin residential roofing could be avoided through an effective maintenance plan. Roof maintenance does not need to be expensive or time-consuming to be effective. Although some tasks should be delegated to a reputable professional, there are other tasks that you can handle yourself.
What Roof Maintenance Tips Can Alpha Roofing Recommend?
Why Does Roofing Maintenance Matter?
From cars to roofs, virtually everything is easier and cheaper to fix if you handle the small issues before they escalate. For example, it is much less expensive to change the oil in your vehicle periodically than to replace the engine when it fails from neglect. Similarly, it is less costly to prevent a roof leak than it is to repair the damage that the water can cause.
What Are the Roof Maintenance Tasks Homeowners Can Perform Themselves?
Unless you possess the proper training, equipment, and safety gear, you should not attempt to walk on your roof. You could cause more damage to your roof or suffer a severe injury if you fall. However, there are still tasks that you can handle yourself that do not require climbing onto your roof.
1. At least once a month, arm yourself with a pair of binoculars and take a stroll around your house. Examine every roof plane for signs of damage, including missing or broken flashing, shingles, or metal panels that are not adequately aligned, visible nails or fasteners, and cupped, cracked, or missing shingles. If you have asphalt shingles, look for bare patches that indicate granule loss.
2. Check your yard for pieces of shingles that have fallen from your roof. A cracked shingle may only lose a small corner, but this will still require your prompt attention.
3. Clean your gutters at least twice each year. Watch for accumulations of granules in your gutters or around your downspouts. Although it is normal for new shingles to shed excess granules, if your roof is several years old, serious granule loss could indicate that it is time to call an Austin roofer to replace your roof.
4. Many signs of a roof problem first appear in the attic space. Inspect your attic every month on a sunny day. Look for rays of sunlight entering where the walls meet the roof. Check the contents of the attic, the insulation, the underside of the roof deck, and the rafters for water stains, damp spots, and mold or mildew.
Should I Worry About My Trees Damaging My Roof?
When many homeowners think about roof damage from trees, they picture a limb crashing down during a violent storm. Although that possibility should not be ignored, there are other ways that trees can inflict roof damage. For example, a low-hanging branch that scrapes against your roof can remove the granules from asphalt shingles. Dense shade can encourage the growth of algae and mold. Consult an Austin residential roofing company or an arborist to remove any problematic tree limbs.
What Roof Maintenance Tasks Should a Professional Handle?
A professional roofer should handle every task that involves walking on your roof. He may also perform some of the other functions, including attic inspections. The following list includes some of the typical tasks performed during a professional roof inspection.
1. Evaluate the flashing around roof penetrations, at walls, and around the chimney.
2. Determine whether a chimney repair is needed to replace missing elements, including masonry and mortar.
3. Examine the roofing material for signs of damage.
4. Check the fasteners on metal roofing systems or look for exposed nails on roofs with asphalt shingles.
5. Check for soft spots in the roof deck.
6. Examine the gutter system to ensure that the gutters and downspouts are sufficient, unclogged, and undamaged.
7. If a drip edge is present, ensure that it is intact and properly installed.
Whether you need an insurance restoration or an economical routine maintenance plan, you can count on the experts at Alpha Roofing Industries. We are a well-respected and award-winning roofing company offering residential and commercial services to clients throughout most of Central Texas. Our services include asphalt shingle replacement, emergency roof repair, preventive maintenance plans, flat roof installation, metal roofing systems, attic insulation, flashing repair and installation, chimney repair, and skylight installation. We have earned an outstanding reputation for delivering exceptional work and exemplary service at reasonable prices. You can call us at 512-777-1086 or fill out the online form to request a free evaluation and quote.
- Arlington, TX
- Athens, TX
- Austin, TX
- Bastrop, TX
- Belton, TX
- Buda, TX
- Cedar Park, TX
- College Station, TX
- Corsicana, TX
- Dallas, TX
- Elgin, TX
- Fairfield, TX
- Fort Worth, TX
- Frisco, TX
- Georgetown, TX
- Grandbury, TX
- Harker Heights, TX
- Hillsboro, TX
- Hutto, TX
- Killeen, TX
- Kyle, TX
- Lago Vista, TX
- Lakeway, TX
- Lampasas, TX
- Leander, TX
- Manor, TX
- New Braunfels, TX
- Pflugerville, TX
- Plano, TX
- Round Rock, TX
- Salado, TX
- San Marcos, TX
- Stephenville, TX
- Taylor, TX
- Temple, TX
- Waco, TX