If you have ever taken a drive in Central Texas’s rural parts, you may have noticed abandoned structures in some empty fields. Sometimes, the walls have collapsed or damage to the foundation has allowed the structure to shift. However, in virtually every instance, you will find that the roof was the first structural component to fail. Once a roof is incapable of keeping nature at bay, the floor joists, wall studs, foundation, and other parts of the structure will be destroyed. If you want to protect your home’s integrity, you need to take care of your roof. Whether you need an emergency roof repair or a replacement roof, you want to make sure that you hire the best roofer you can find.
How to Hire the Best Roofer for Your Roofing Needs in Austin
If I Need Professional Roof Services, Where Should I Begin?
Before you call a roof company, you should attempt to determine the type of service that you need. For example, if your asphalt shingles are 25 or 30 years old, you might need to replace them. However, if the problem is that some of your shingles have blown off, you suspect that water is leaking into your attic space, or a panel on your metal roof appears to have moved out of place, you may only need a repair.
If I Know I Need an Austin Roof Replacement, How Should I Proceed?
Think about the material you would like to use for your new roof. Some contractors have extensive experience in installing asphalt shingles, for example, but they lack the knowledge, experience, and equipment to install a metal roof. You should also consider the complexity of your roof, its slope, and its size. Not every roof company is equipped to deal with roof with a steep slope or multiple planes, and some contractors do not have sufficient staffing to handle a large job. With this information, you can begin searching for the right contractor for your roofing needs.
What Should I Ask a Roofer During My Initial Screening Process?
Initially, you want to determine a few basic facts about the contractors you are considering. Delay requesting inspections or quotes until you can narrow your list to the best three or four candidates.
1. Are you appropriately licensed and fully insured?
2. How much experience do you have installing the roofing material I want? Popular materials include metal and asphalt shingles, but there are numerous types of each. For example, a standing seam metal roof requires more training to install than metal panels.
3. How much experience do you have with my roof’s architectural style? Be as specific as you can. For example, you might ask whether the contractor has installed gambrel, flat, A-frame, saltbox, or butterfly roofs if your home features that style. You might want to mention the number of stories your home contains and any landscaping or accessibility issues that the contractor may need to address.
4. Do you offer a warranty on your work? Labor is typically not included in the warranty issued by the manufacturer of your roofing material.
5. Do you provide detailed quotes in writing? You need to know exactly what each contractor is planning to include in your project so that you can compare apples and apples.
What Should Come Next When Selecting a Roofing Contractor?
Your next step should be to request an inspection and quote from your leading candidates. Most reputable Austin roof replacement contractors do not charge for this service. As each contractor finishes, ask any of the following questions if he has not already provided the information.
1. What are your estimated start and completion dates? Keep in mind that no roofer can guarantee these dates; the weather must be cooperative.
2. Do you have references I can check? Request references for projects similar to yours in scope, material, and complexity.
3. Will you remove my existing roof? If so, who will pay for the dumpster and any fees for disposing of the old materials?
4. What is the payment schedule? Reputable contractors may ask for a deposit, but it should not exceed 10%. Never pay the entire amount in advance, and never pay in cash.
5. What are the advantages of the underlayment, flashings, roof covering, or other materials that you recommend? An experienced roofer can easily justify his recommendations, and an honest roofer will not hesitate to explain his reasoning.
6. Will the people installing my roof be your employees, subcontractors, or day laborers? You have the right to know who will be on your property. Furthermore, installers who are employees of the contractor tend to be more experienced and better trained.
If I Just Need a Repair or Routine Maintenance, What Should I Ask a Roofer?
The process of selecting a roofer to perform a repair or maintenance procedure is virtually identical to choosing a contractor for a roof replacement. Tailor the questions to match the precise service that you need.
Call Alpha Roofing, the Roof Contractor Austin Homeowners Trust
Alpha Roofing is a roof contractor and serves customers in Central Texas from our office in Round Rock. Our services include installing gutters, skylights, attic insulation, metal roofing systems, flat roofs, flashing, and asphalt shingles. We also repair flashing, roofs, and chimneys, and we offer preventive maintenance programs, moss and debris removal, metal fabrication, emergency roof repair, and commercial roofing services. We have an exceptional reputation for remarkable customer service and exemplary workmanship. For a free inspection and no-strings quote, use the online form to send us your information or call 512-777-1086.
- Arlington, TX
- Athens, TX
- Austin, TX
- Bastrop, TX
- Belton, TX
- Buda, TX
- Cedar Park, TX
- College Station, TX
- Corsicana, TX
- Dallas, TX
- Elgin, TX
- Fairfield, TX
- Fort Worth, TX
- Frisco, TX
- Georgetown, TX
- Grandbury, TX
- Harker Heights, TX
- Hillsboro, TX
- Hutto, TX
- Killeen, TX
- Kyle, TX
- Lago Vista, TX
- Lakeway, TX
- Lampasas, TX
- Leander, TX
- Manor, TX
- New Braunfels, TX
- Pflugerville, TX
- Plano, TX
- Round Rock, TX
- Salado, TX
- San Marcos, TX
- Stephenville, TX
- Taylor, TX
- Temple, TX
- Waco, TX