Whether you call a siding contractor to select cladding for a new home or to replace your current siding, you should first explore the different options that are available to you. During your research, you will probably discover that the fiber cement siding manufactured by James Hardie has become increasingly popular in Austin, TX and Central Texas. However, you may be wondering whether Hardie siding products are worth the cost. Many homeowners have decided that James Hardie siding is definitely worth the price.
Hardie Board Siding – Is It Worth It? | Austin, TX
Why Is James Hardie Siding Worth the Cost?
First of all, many people mistakenly believe that James Hardie fiber cement siding is substantially more expensive than vinyl or wood. In reality, a high-quality vinyl siding will cost almost as much per square foot, and wood siding can sometimes cost more than Hardie siding. It all depends on the style you choose, how challenging it will be for the contractor to install the siding and the options that you select. When you weigh the advantages of Hardie board, it is easy to see that fiber cement is worth any additional cost.
• Hardie siding products are available in a variety of styles. Whether you want shingles, lap siding or planks, you are sure to find a style that suits your needs.
• Maintaining fiber cement siding is easy. Spray it with a garden hose occasionally to clean it. Check the caulking around trim pieces annually, and if necessary, apply new caulking. You may need to repaint it every 15 years or so. Wood siding repair and maintenance is typically more extensive and more frequent.
• Termites, woodpeckers and carpenter ants have no interest in fiber cement siding, and fiber cement siding also resists rot. Wood siding is susceptible to all these.
• Hardie siding is durable and resistant to impact damage. Hail and windborne objects can knock holes in vinyl siding and crack or shatter wood.
• Hardie siding is environmentally friendly. It does not contain potentially toxic chemicals. It contains wood pulp, but only sustainable species are used.
• Fiber cement siding offers superior resistance to fire. As the structural elements of the home that lies behind the siding may be flammable, Hardie board siding cannot be called fireproof even though it does not feed or spread flames.
• James Hardie’s warranties are outstanding. Siding products carry a non-prorated 30-year warranty, while trim products have a non-prorated 15-year warranty. If you choose to have the color applied at the factory, the finish will have a 15-year warranty against chipping, cracking and peeling.
If you want to obtain the best results, you should always hire an experienced Hardie siding contractor who has the proper training and tools to handle the job. Alpha Roofing is one of the leading roofing contractors in Austin and Central Texas, and we have an exemplary reputation and outstanding references. In addition to siding installation, we also install metal roofs, asphalt shingles, skylights and flashing, and we offer roof repairs, maintenance programs, and chimney repairs. If you need superior workmanship at reasonable rates, contact us for a free quote by submitting the online form or calling 512-777-1086.