A roof replacement is not something that the average homeowner needs to deal with frequently; many people need a new roof only two or three times during their lifetime. However, when a roof is no longer capable of protecting you and your belongings from the elements, you may be forced to replace it. New roofs can be expensive, but there are a few ways that you can ensure that you receive the best value for your money.
Roof Replacement & Cost Considerations – To Repair or Replace
In some cases, you might be able to have your roof repaired rather than replaced. For example, if you are missing just a few shingles on the back of your house, your roof is less than 10 years old and shingles that are close to the color of the existing ones are available, you can probably get by with a repair. However, because there will likely be some color variation, you might want to consider replacing your roof if you have a large area of shingles missing on the roof’s front plane. A reputable roofer can tell you whether a repair is feasible.
Roof Replacement & Cost Considerations – Understand the Factors
Every roofing job has the potential to present unique challenges, so contractors need to make a visual inspection of the roof as well as the site before preparing a detailed quote. The following list represents some of the factors that roofers must consider when determining the charges for a replacement roof.
• The square footage of the roof is a critical factor. This is not the same as the square footage of the home even if you only have a one-story house. The roof’s square footage is based on the length and width of each place as well as the roof’s pitch or slope.
• Your home’s architecture can impact your costs. Homes designed with mansard, A-frame or gambrel roofs will generally cost more than homes with a traditional gable roof. Architectural elements, including turrets, multiple gables and arches, can make the job more time-consuming and difficult.
• The contractor’s crew must be able to access the roof safely and easily. If there are low-hanging tree branches, extensive foundation plantings or other physical barriers, additional labor and/or equipment may be needed. There may also be additional charges if the roof is too steep for workers to walk on it safely; scaffolds or other equipment may be needed to ensure the safety of the roofing crew.
• The extent of damage incurred by the existing roof can also be a factor. If the old roof was allowed to deteriorate significantly, the decking may have been damaged by water and require replacement. The decking may have also been damaged if a tree limb fell on it or if the roof was pelted by large hailstones.
• Another significant factor is the type of roofing materials that you select. For example, asphalt shingles are available in different styles with different warranties. The cheapest style is typically a three-tab style with a 20-year warranty. Architectural shingles with a 30-year warranty will carry a lower price than those with a 50-year warranty. Metal roofing systems can be more expensive than most types of asphalt shingles, but they have extremely long warranties, withstand hail and wind well and need virtually no maintenance. The amount that you want to spend on roofing materials depends on your budget, the length of time you expect to own your home and how appropriate the choice is for your architecture and neighborhood.
• Inexperienced roof contractors can affect your cost. A shady contractor may not carry workers comp or liability insurance, placing you at financial risk. He may also substitute inferior materials, skip critical steps or use inexperienced workers. A reputable contractor will be fully insured, his crew will be well-trained employees and he will ensure that your roof is installed according to specifications.
Alpha Roofing is an expert in roof replacement in Austin and Central Texas. We are an award-winning, full-service roofing contractor with outstanding references and an illustrious reputation. Our employees are experienced roofing professionals with a dedication to quality work and superior customer service. We serve residential and commercial customers in Austin and throughout Central Texas. Our services include the installation of metal roofing systems, roof leak repair, the installation of asphalt shingles, chimney repairs, the installation of siding, and roof inspections, maintenance plans and the removal of moss and debris. If you have more questions about Roof Replacement & Cost Considerations or would like a free estimate, submit our online form or call our office at (512) 777-1086.