Roof replacement cost varies widely as there are many factors that must be evaluated. Location is just one of these factors. According to HomeAdvisor.com, the national average is $6,854, but most homeowners reported spending between $4,690 and $9,034. However, some homeowners spent as much as $30,000 on their replacement roofs. The average was approximately $6,640 and the high cost of $20,825 was significantly below the national average although most homeowners reported a range that reflected only slightly lower numbers than the national. To understand why the costs of a new roof cover such a wide range, it is important to understand what is involved.
Roof Replacement Cost – Your Home’s Architecture Can Affect Prices
Some architectural styles require more materials and more time to replace the roof. Roof replacement cost on a ranch-style home, for example, is much less expensive than replacing the roof on a Tudor. Replacing a gabled roof is easier than replacing a mansard roof. An A-frame house requires significantly more materials and time than a bungalow of the same size but with a roof that is far less steep. Roofs with numerous planes, multiple chimneys, several skylights or other fixtures often cost more than roofs that lack these features.
Material Chosen Will Affect Costs
When having a custom home built, virtually everyone understands that features such as granite countertops, marble floor tiles and solid brass plumbing fixtures will cost more than laminated plastic countertops, vinyl flooring and stainless steel fixtures. The same basic principle applies to a new roof.
• Asphalt shingles are the most popular choice for roofing in the United States. However, they come in a wide range of styles, including inexpensive three-tab shingles and high-end designer or architectural shingles. On a ranch house of average size, a new roof can cost anywhere from $1,700 to $8,400.
• Metal roofing systems have become much more popular in recent years. They are available in a number of different styles and materials. For a ranch house of average size, expect to pay between $5,100 and $22,000 for a steel roof, between $11,900 and $24,200 for an aluminum roof and between $25,500 and $39,600 for a copper roof.
Scope of Work Affects Price
In addition to the size of the roof, the home’s architecture and the materials desired, there are a number of miscellaneous factors that can affect roof replacement cost.
• Will the existing shingles need to be removed? If you already have two layers of shingles, building codes will not permit installing a third layer. Expect to pay approximately $1,000 for the removal and disposal of existing shingles on an average home.
• Will the decking need to be replaced? Damaged sheathing can allow water to leak inside your home. Depending on the thickness of the plywood used, roofers charge between $40 and $100 to replace a full panel of sheathing.
• Is the flashing missing or broken? Occasionally, roofers can reuse existing flashing, but if the flashing is missing, cracked or damaged, add $10 to $20 for every vent flashing and approximately $50 for every 10 square feet of sheet flashing.
Hire a Reputable Roofing Company
When you need a new roof, be sure that you hire a reputable, residential roofing contractor. It is best to obtain multiple bids and compare them carefully. Research the contractor’s reputation. Make sure that all of your questions are answered before you commit.
At Alpha Roofing, we have been helping customers in Austin and Central Texas with their roofing needs for over 30 years. We are a roofing contractor that installs metal roofing systems, asphalt shingles, gutters, siding and roof repair. We also offer roof repairs and a number of other services. Our dedicated crews are highly qualified and committed to superior workmanship. If you would like to request a free quote, you can submit our online form or call 512-777-1086.
We serve the areas of Waco, Hillboro, Sherman, Rockwall, Weatherford, TX!
See Recent FAQ’s Below-