In some parts of the country, late spring and early summer mark the start of the dry season. However, in the Austin area, May is typically the wettest month of the year, and June runs a close second. The key to avoiding an emergency roof repair in the middle of the rainy season is to prepare for storms in advance. By doing so, you can also help protect your home’s structural components, furnishings, and drywall from water damage.
How Can Austin Homeowners Prepare for the Rainy Season?
Experienced roof contractors know that a little preventive maintenance can save you a lot of money. By being proactive about your routine maintenance, you can identify and correct minor issues before they have a chance to turn into major repairs.
1. If you have evidence of a roof leak or suspect that one might be present, call a reputable roofing company to repair it immediately. One possible sign of a leak is a water stain on an interior wall or ceiling. In the attic, the insulation, rafters, stored items, roof trusses or underside of the roof deck may be damp or stained. Mold or mildew could begin to grow on interior walls, attic insulation or furnishings.
2. Clean out your gutters. Clogged gutters can force water under the edge of the roof, resulting in damage to the decking and rafters. The water can also enter behind your siding and rot the wall studs. The water that flows down exterior walls can damage siding or cause foundation problems. Once the gutters are clear, repair or replace any sections that are cracked, sagging or leaking. You should also make sure that the downspouts are clear and positioned correctly.
3. Flashings are the seals around vents, skylights, chimneys and other roof penetrations that keep out the rain. If your flashings are broken, warped, loose, missing or cracked, water can leak into the attic, fireplace or interior of your home. Inspecting for damaged flashing is a job that is best left to a professional roofer who offers the service as part of a free roofing inspection.
4. Debris that has accumulated on your roof needs to be removed. Twigs, trash, toys, and leaves can restrict the flow of water from your roof, mainly if the debris accumulates in valleys or around flashing.
5. Check the condition of your roof covering. Asphalt shingles should be checked for signs that they are cracked, curled, cupped, broken, missing or degranulated. Wood shakes and tiles should be examined to see if any are cracked, missing or loose. Flat roofs need to be checked for damage, deterioration and insufficient drainage. You can perform a preliminary examination from the ground or the top rung of a ladder with a pair of binoculars. If you notice any damage, call a reputable roofer who offers roof repairs as one of his roofing services.
6. For maximum protection, have a reputable roofing company conduct a thorough inspection. Professional roofers have the safety equipment and knowledge to identify problems that you might overlook.
Alpha Roofing is a award-winning roofing company serving residential and commercial customers in Austin and throughout Central Texas. Our roofing services include emergency roof repair, metal roofing systems, asphalt shingle installations, flashing repair, metal fabrication, chimney repair, siding installation, flat roof replacement, debris removal, skylight installation, roof inspections, and maintenance plans. We are known for our superb workmanship, superior customer service, and competitive prices. To receive a free quote, contact us through our website by completing the quote request form or call our office at 512-777-1086.