Ever since James Hardie Industries introduced fiber cement siding in the 1980s, the number of homeowners who have chosen fiber cement over wood, vinyl and other types of siding has increased annually. Fiber cement siding offers many advantages over other cladding materials, but contractors offering siding and roofing services in the Austin area are often asked whether it is a suitable choice for the region’s climate. Fiber cement siding is more than just ideal for homes in Austin. It is one of the best siding products for the region.
Is Fiber Cement Siding Suitable in Austin, TX? Why Is It Ideal?
The choice of siding is a decision that should be made after all factors are considered. For example, you will want to consider the maintenance that will be required, the longevity of the siding and the impact that your decision will have on your home’s curb appeal. However, when all of the factors are evaluated, fiber cement siding typically tops the list of options for all of the following reasons.
• Summers in Austin can be brutally hot, and the humidity levels rarely fall below 60 percent in any season. The area also receives abundant sunshine. All of these weather conditions can cause some types of siding to warp, blister or crack, but fiber cement siding is not prone to any of these problems.
• As any Austin roofing contractor can attest, hail can cause tremendous damage to your home. Large hailstones can crash through skylights, break windows, destroy your shingles, punch holes in vinyl siding and crack wood siding. Fiber cement siding has superior resistance to impact damage.
• The humidity in the area encourages rot as well as termites, carpenter ants and other insects that feast on or make their homes in wood. Fiber cement siding is rot-resistant and insect-resistant.
• The Austin area is subject to periodic droughts and occasional wildfires. Fiber cement siding holds the highest rating possible for fire resistance. Therefore, many insurance companies offer discounts for homes clad in fiber cement siding.
• Fiber cement siding requires little maintenance. Wood siding must be painted, stained or sealed frequently to prevent its decay. James Hardie siding products are available in many colors that are applied at the factory, so you will not need to paint your siding for many years unless you want to change your color scheme. About the only other maintenance, you might want to spray the siding with a garden hose to remove any dirt.
How Much Does Fiber Cement Siding Cost?
Fiber cement siding is available in many different styles, and each style can carry a different price. There are also many other factors that must be considered. However, if you compare prices to install siding on the same home, you will probably find the following general information is valid.
• Fiber cement siding costs less than synthetic stucco or brick.
• Vinyl siding is the least expensive option, but it also tends to have the shortest life.
• Depending on the type of wood and the style chosen, wood siding can cost more, less or about the same as fiber cement siding. However, maintenance costs can add thousands of dollars to the price of wood siding over the life of the siding.
• Composite siding or hardboard will cost as much as or more than fiber cement.
Should I Hire a Siding Company or a Roof Company to Install My Siding?
Whether the contractor is a roofing company or a siding contractor is less critical than choosing someone with the training, skills, equipment, and experience to do the job right. Siding installation is a legitimate service for an Austin residential roofing contractor. Many times, homeowners who need roofing services need to have new siding installed at the same time. A roof company will already have the equipment and tools required, and the contractor will also have an excellent understanding of how the different components of the home depend on each other.
Does Alpha Roofing Install Fiber Cement Siding?
Alpha Roofing is a siding contractor servicing Austin, TX and Central Texas. We also install skylights, asphalt shingles and metal roofing systems. We also offer roof repairs, preventive maintenance plans, chimney repairs, moss and debris removal, roof inspections and metal fabrication. Unlike a typical roofing company, we employ professional installers who are highly trained, experienced and committed to delivering outstanding work. We offer free quotes, so request yours today by submitting the online form or calling 512-777-1086.
- Arlington, TX
- Athens, TX
- Austin, TX
- Bastrop, TX
- Belton, TX
- Buda, TX
- Cedar Park, TX
- College Station, TX
- Corsicana, TX
- Dallas, TX
- Elgin, TX
- Fairfield, TX
- Fort Worth, TX
- Frisco, TX
- Georgetown, TX
- Grandbury, TX
- Harker Heights, TX
- Hillsboro, TX
- Hutto, TX
- Killeen, TX
- Kyle, TX
- Lago Vista, TX
- Lakeway, TX
- Lampasas, TX
- Leander, TX
- Manor, TX
- New Braunfels, TX
- Pflugerville, TX
- Plano, TX
- Round Rock, TX
- Salado, TX
- San Marcos, TX
- Stephenville, TX
- Taylor, TX
- Temple, TX
- Waco, TX