Asphalt shingles are the most popular type of roof covering in the United States. Shingles are economical, but they offer excellent protection. However, they can also be damaged, and if repairs are not made promptly, the damage can spread to the home’s interior, exterior siding, foundation and wall supports. Although many people do not think about roof repairs until it becomes evident that water is leaking into the interior, this can leave you, as the saying goes, a day late and a dollar short. By the time an interior leak appears, hidden or more severe damage has likely occurred that can be expensive to repair. If you are aware of the types of repairs that your roof may need throughout its life, you can stay a step ahead of leaks and water penetration.
Shingle Roofing Repairs You Should Be Aware Of
What Are Some Critical Roof Repairs?
Your roof is comprised of several interdependent components that form a complete system. Therefore, repairs should only be made by licensed roofing companies with the proper understanding of how each component contributes to the roof’s ability to protect your home. Here are some common — but critical — repairs that your roofing system may need.
1. Replace missing shingles. Austin and Central Texas periodically experiences high winds that can be prolonged. Thunderstorms may bring strong, steady winds or dangerous gusts. These winds can be strong enough to blow shingles off the roof, but if a problem already exists, even milder winds can remove shingles. Missing shingles can leave the wood decking exposed to the elements, leading to rot or mold. Furthermore, missing shingles can make it easier for the wind to remove additional shingles.
2. Maintain your fascia boards. Fascia boards are the horizontal pieces that cover the joint between the eaves and the top of the wall. Their primary purpose is to prevent water penetration. Because fascia boards are exposed to a great deal of rain, they are rather susceptible to rot. Be sure and have fascia boards painted, sealed or replaced as needed.
3. Have a roof contractor replace damaged shingles. Shingles can be cracked or have their granules stripped by hail, from contact with overhanging tree limbs, or by people walking on them. Inadequate ventilation can cause them to buckle or curl. Whatever form the damage takes, damaged shingles can allow a severe leak to develop in a relatively short time.
4. Maintain your gutters. Gutters should be cleaned twice a year; if you live in a heavily treed area, you may need to clean them more often. It is also important to inspect your gutters for cracks, gaps or leaks. Also, you need to make sure that they are securely fastened to the wall. Clogged gutters can force water underneath the edges of your roof, which can cause the decking to rot or allow water to leak inside the wall void. Damaged or loose gutters can allow water to flow down the exterior wall, endangering your siding as well as your foundation.
5. Your flashings need to be inspected periodically, and any needed repairs should be made promptly. Flashing is applied around roof penetrations to seal out water. It is also used where the roof and walls meet. Flashings can be damaged by hail or loosened by the wind. Roofing contractors know where flashing should be installed, so they will be able to identify any locations where the flashing is missing or needs to be replaced.
6. Have moss removed from your shingles. In many cases, moss is a cosmetic problem that does not cause immediate damage to the shingles. However, moss traps moisture next to your shingles, and over time, this trapped moisture can go through repeated freeze/thaw cycles. When it freezes, it expands and can damage or remove granules from the shingles.
7. Maintain your soffits. The soffit is the covering that lies below the rafters and fascia boards. Soffit, which can be made from vinyl or wood, plays a role in attic ventilation, but it also helps protect the rafters and sheathing. If cracks or holes develop in your soffit, insects and small animals can enter, and over time, they will enlarge the openings, allowing larger pests and more water to enter.
If you need to have work performed on your roofing system, Alpha can help. We are a highly regarded roofing contractor serving Austin and most of Central Texas. Our services include roof repairs, chimney repairs, emergency roof repairs, flashing installations and repairs, asphalt shingle installations, damage inspections, siding installations, moss removal, preventive maintenance programs, and metal roofing systems. We are dedicated to superior customer service, exceptional craftsmanship, and reasonable prices. We would be happy to furnish you with a free quote; call 512-777-1086 or fill out our online request form.