The roof is one of the most critical components of your home, so you should make sure that the roofing company you hire to repair or replace it has the experience, training, and skills to do the job right. If state laws require roof contractors to obtain a license, the lack of a permit is a definite warning to potential customers. Texas is one of many states that do not require permits at the state level for roofing companies. However, many cities, including Austin, do require that the municipality licenses all professional roofing companies. Even if you live in a town that does not have mandatory licensing, there are valid reasons to hire a licensed roof contractor.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring Licensed Roofing Companies?
If you want to purchase a ticket to fly across the country, you certainly want a licensed pilot at the controls. Similarly, you would want an attorney representing you in a lawsuit to be licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Regardless of occupation, a license demonstrates a certain amount of knowledge, training, and ability. Here are some of the benefits you can gain from hiring a roof contractor with the proper credentials.
• No one can open a roofing business on a Monday and be licensed by Friday. Roofing contractors are generally required to have been in business for at least three years before they can apply for a license. Therefore, you will know that the contractor has the experience needed for the job.
• Licensing requirements are rather stringent. Roof contractors must prove that they understand the roofing industry, building codes and how to run a safe work site.
• In many cities, only licensed roofers can secure any permits needed on behalf of their customers. This means that you would have to take the time to obtain your licenses if you hire an unlicensed roofer.
• Unlicensed roofers are often uninsured roofers. Under Texas law, all roofing professionals are supposed to carry general liability insurance. This insurance protects you if the roofer damages your property or that of your neighbor while working on your roof. To obtain a license, roofers must show proof of liability coverage. Unlicensed roofers may decide to skip insurance to reduce their operating expenses.
• Licenses often reflect the financial stability of the company. Companies that are struggling to keep their doors open frequently lack the money for licensing fees and the time to complete the process.
• Licensed roofing companies stand behind their work. The warranty issued by the company that manufactured the materials on your roof might mean little or nothing if the roofer did not apply them correctly. In the unlikely event that a licensed roofer makes a mistake, he will make sure that the problem is remedied. An unlicensed roofer could leave you responsible for paying for new materials and hiring another contractor to repeat the work.
Alpha Roofing is an Austin-based roofing company and we are committed to delivering superior workmanship on every job. We are a financially stable, award-winning, fully insured roofing company serving Austin and Central Texas. Our installation crews are roofing professionals who install roofs only for our company. We install metal roofs, asphalt shingles, skylights, siding, and flashing, and we repair chimneys, roofs, and flashing. We also offer roofing maintenance plans, roof inspections, moss and debris removal, metal fabrication, flat roof replacement, and emergency roof repairs. For a free estimate, call 512-777-1086 or submit our quote request form online.