If you own or manage a commercial property, you will probably find a leaking roof annoying. However, you may be unaware of all the potential problems that can develop from what may seem to be a relatively small leak. A neglected leak can pose a severe risk to your finances, but it could also affect the health of your tenants, employees, and guests. At the first sign of a possible leak, you should call a reputable commercial roofing company to evaluate the condition of your roof and make repairs before matters worse.
What Are the Risks Posed by a Leaking Commercial Roof?
Representatives of commercial roofing companies often find themselves the unwelcome bearers of bad news. They frequently have to tell customers that a problem that could have been repaired for a few hundred dollars is now going to cost the client thousands of dollars to remediate. Many of these damages are not within the scope of services offered by roofing contractors, so customers will need to spend more time and energy to find multiple contractors to handle the repairs.
1. In many cases, mold has become well-established in the building before the leak is detected. Mold can thrive within wall voids, on fixtures, or even on your supplies and inventory items. It can also endanger the health of anyone who spends much time in your building. Mold remediation can be a costly and time-consuming process that could potentially disrupt your business operations.
2. The structural components of the structure could be damaged. Mold and rot can attack components made of wood, rust can eat away at metal components containing iron, and water can cause shorts in the electrical system, increasing the chances of a fire that could sweep through the entire building.
3. Any hole large enough to allow water to enter is large enough to allow insects and small animals to enter. These invaders will gradually enlarge the openings, allowing larger animals inside and increasing the amount of water that can enter.
4. In virtually all cases, damage to the insulation, ceiling tiles and walls will occur. This can result in higher energy bills due to compromised insulation, unsightly water stains, bubbles in plaster, and a host of other problems.
What Are the Major Causes of Commercial Roof Leaks?
The simple answer is that customers often fail to include regular inspections and maintenance when establishing their budgets for roof services. A reputable commercial roofing contractor will be able to identify issues that need immediate attention if significant problems are to be avoided.
1. Clogged or inadequate drainage systems allow water to pool on the roof. This gives leaks more time to develop, but the weight of the water also places an unnecessary strain on the deck supporting the roof.
2. Damaged membranes may result from the aging process, but they can also be caused by excessive foot traffic, dragging heavy items across the roof, or service technicians who lack the proper footwear or knowledge to walk on the roof.
3. Roof penetrations, including vents, gas lines, pipes, and conduits, must be sealed correctly. Depending on the type of penetration, this may involve the use of flashing, rain collars, pitch pans, field wraps or pipe boots.
4. Perimeter flashing is typically found along interior parapet walls or on the roof’s exterior edges. Its function is to seal the membrane’s edges against water penetration. However, high winds, temperature fluctuations, and severe storms can break, tear or loosen perimeter flashing.
Alpha Roofing provides the exceptional commercial roofing Austin TX property owners, and managers need. We are an award-winning roofing company with an exceptional reputation for delivering superior results with true professionalism and at competitive rates. Our services include flat roof replacements, flashing installation and repair, roof repairs, skylight installations, metal fabrication, siding installations, chimney repairs and roof inspections. To receive a free quote on your roofing needs, submit our online form or call 512-777-1086.