Most people in Austin and Central Texas are familiar with the damage that even a relatively weak tornado can do to a home’s roof. However, it does not take a funnel cloud to cause damage. High winds can blow shingles from the roof, airborne debris can damage flashing and falling tree limbs can cause impact damage. It is advisable to ask a reputable, qualified roofing contractor to conduct a thorough inspection as soon as possible after significant high winds have struck your area.
Make a Preliminary Inspection Yourself
Once the storm has subsided, you should check the items that you can safely inspect without walking on your roof. Start by inspecting the attic for signs of water damage or leaks by checking the insulation, rafters and decking for moisture. You can then move outside to assess the other components that may have been damaged by the wind.
• Check for damage to your gutters. High winds can remove entire sections of your gutter, bend them or pull them loose from their anchors.
• Use a pair of binoculars to get a closer look at your roof. Check for curled, split, missing or cracked shingles or shakes. If you have asphalt shingles, look for evidence that they have lost their granules; bald spots on the shingles or excess granules in your gutters or around your downspouts may indicate damage to the shingles.
• If you can see your flashing and chimney, look for missing or cracked flashing, damaged bricks in the chimney, bent flashing and damaged roof vents.
• Check for damage to your siding.
• If possible, take pictures to document the damage and make a list of all of the damage you have identified.
High Wind Damage | Austin, Tx | Review Your Insurance Policy
Insurance companies often require higher deductibles for wind-damaged roofs. Avoid unpleasant surprises later by determining the specifics of your policy. If you prefer, you can go ahead and call your insurance company so that they can schedule an adjustor to assess the damage. However, you might want to see what your contractor has to say before calling them; he may find damages that you overlooked. Some contractors will be happy to be present when your adjustor inspects the roof so that he can point out any damage that the adjustor might miss.
High Wind Damage | Austin, Tx | Take Care of Repairs Quickly
To the best of your ability, take steps to minimize the potential for additional damage. For example, secure broken windows with a tarp or a sheet of plastic, tighten loose fasteners on your gutters or avoid using your fireplace if you suspect that the chimney has been damaged. If your roof is leaking or severely damaged, see if you can find a contractor who performs emergency repairs. He may not be able to perform the work immediately, but he can take steps — such as tarping a damaged roof to prevent water penetration — to protect your home until permanent repairs can be made. Schedule all work as soon as possible. Delays increase the chances that more extensive damage will be done to your home.
Alpha Roofing: The Professional Help You Need
Alpha Roofing is an Austin based company that specializes in residential and commercial roofing. We can help you deal with the aftermath of a high-wind event. We offer emergency roof repairs as well as roof inspections. We install and repair asphalt shingles, metal roofing systems and flashing, and we also repair chimneys, install siding and provide a variety of other rooftop services. We have earned an outstanding reputation for superior workmanship and professional customer service. For a free estimate, submit the online request form or call our office at (512) 777-1086.
See Recent FAQs Below