Given enough time, all roofing materials will fail due to constant exposure to the elements. Although many people only associate the age of the roof with its failure, a competent roofing contractors can identify issues that can accelerate or even cause failure.
• Manufacturing defects are rare, but they can occur. Signs of defective manufacturing include excessive loss of granules, shingles that are curled, cupped or blistered, unusual stains or cracks in the shingles. Warranties vary, but some manufacturers will pay to have your shingles replaced, including the labor costs, if their products are defective.
• Improper installation can lead to numerous types of problems. Asphalt shingles may fail to seal properly, resulting in blow-offs; improperly installed metal roofing systems can also experience blow-offs. Metal panels or asphalt shingles that are not attached correctly can also allow roof leaks.
• Clogged or damaged gutters can cause roof leaks. Water can be forced under the edges of the roof. This can cause the decking and rafters to rot, but the water can also reach the interior of the structure very quickly. The problem can be exacerbated by freezing temperatures or high winds associated with thunderstorms.
• Flashing should be installed around any roof penetration as well as at the intersection of roof planes, such as where a garage roof meets the wall of a house. Flashing that is not properly installed or that has been damaged can prove inadequate to seal out water. Damage to the decking can occur, but it is also common for flashing leaks to allow water to penetrate to interior ceilings and walls, ruining the drywall and potentially damaging furniture and flooring.
• There are also many other ways that a roof can be damaged. Hail can crack or split asphalt shingles as well as remove granules. Low-hanging branches can scrape granules away, removing the first layer of protection offered by asphalt shingles. Algae and moss can take hold, damaging shingles and wood shakes as well as detracting from the building’s curb appeal.
If you notice any signs of a roof problem, such as stains on the ceiling or water leaking around skylights, contact Alpha Roofing for a professional roof repair inspection. We provide a complete range of roofing-related services to customers throughout Central Texas, including the Austin metropolitan area. In addition to installing and repairing asphalt shingles, flat roofs and metal roofing systems, we install siding, and skylights. Our dedicated crews are committed to providing quality results and superior customer service at reasonable rates. Submit our online form to request a free quote or call our office at (512) 777-1086 to speak with one of our knowledgeable staff members.