Gutters are an important part of your home’s roofing system, but you might be unaware of the different benefits that your gutters provide.
• Gutters carry runoff from your roof to downspouts, which in turn direct the water to your desired location.
• Without gutters, runoff can collect around your foundation and accelerate the deterioration of your concrete slab.
• Runoff can also collect around your plantings, such as the shrubs that line the front of your house, and impact their health.
• Lacking gutters, rain will flow unimpeded over the edge of your roof and splash dirt onto your siding or bricks, requiring you to spend more time cleaning or endure a less-attractive exterior.
• If you have a wooden deck or porch, the runoff can cause the wood to decay at a faster rate.
• Without gutters, your soffit and fascia are subjected to excessive water and can rot or suffer other types of damage.
Gutters should be kept in good repair and cleaned regularly. Leaves and other debris can clog your gutters, and if that happens, your property can suffer the same type of damages as one with no gutters at all. Furthermore, clogged gutters can:
• Allow water to back up under your shingles. This can rot your decking, wooden roof trusses and rafters, resulting in increased repair costs. The water can also leak into your home’s interior, causing damage to your wall supports, sheetrock, flooring and furnishings.
• Provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Mosquitoes prefer stagnant water in a secluded location, and gutters filled with decaying plant material and water fit their needs nicely.
• Allow mold to establish a stronghold. As the mold multiplies, it can spread to your roof, siding, fascia, soffit or even your plants.
Whether gutters are clogged or leaking, they can dump water in undesirable places. If you have a basement, the water could collect around the foundation and flow into the basement. The water could flow down your driveway and shorten the life of your pavement. Water could also back up into your garage and damage items stored within.
We have more than 30 years of experience with all things roof-related, including new roofing systems, roof repairs, skylight installations and chimney repairs. Contact us today for a free estimate by submitting our online form or calling (512) 777-1086.