When shopping for a new roof and the cost, you will find many options. Some materials, such as tile and slate, have been used for centuries in European and Mediterranean countries. Other materials, including asphalt shingles, have more recent origins. Asphalt shingles, also known as composition shingles, were developed in the 20th century, but they have become the most popular material in the United States for pitched roofs. Their popularity is based on the numerous advantages offered by asphalt shingles, but they do have a few disadvantages as well.
Pros of Asphalt Roofing
• Asphalt shingles are typically the most economical option that will comply with local building codes and provide an attractive appearance.
• There are numerous choices available; you can choose from a wide range of colors as well as styles that run the gamut from basic three-tab styles to styles that mimic wood shakes or slate tiles.
• Asphalt shingles require little maintenance beyond keeping them free from debris and moss.
• Warranties vary by manufacturer and style, but they can be as much as 40 years or longer, with some styles that can qualify for a lifetime warranty.
• Asphalt shingles are easy to install and repair, so you should have little trouble finding an experienced, competent contractor.
Cons of Asphalt Roofing
• Despite their ease of installation, asphalt shingles must still be installed correctly. Otherwise, they can blow off or suffer damages from high winds.
• Asphalt shingles have a tendency to absorb heat and trap it. Adequate attic ventilation can help with this issue as well as help extend the life of the shingles.
• Although they have a long life, asphalt shingles typically have a shorter life than tile, slate or metal roofs.
• Especially in shady areas, asphalt shingles can be damaged by moss or mildew. A regular roof inspection and proper treatment by a reputable contractor can help prevent this type of damage.
You have probably noticed that the advantages of asphalt shingles far outweigh the disadvantages. If you would like to learn more about the many types of asphalt roofing available, contact the professionals at Alpha Roofing. We are a roofing company with three decades of industry experience and serve both residential and commercial property owners throughout Austin. Whether you need a replacement roof or the installation of skylights, r siding, our crews have the expertise to provide exceptional results at competitive rates. You can request a free estimate by completing our online form or calling (512) 777-1086.